Disputorium > English

Picaresque adventures in the 17th and 18th century

(1/4) > >>

Melan:
We all know Grimmelhausen's Simplicissimus (along with Courage, The Notorious Thief, Whore and Vagabond and The Wonderful Bird's Nest) is one of the great works of world literature, and an adventure story beyond compare. This is evident to all with good taste. We also know Bürger's Münchhausen and Jókai's rather more obscure Told by the Death's Head are good. We might have seen Barry Lyndon, Moonfleet or the Agfacolor Münchhausen (which is almost surreally devoid of every evil its birthplace was noted for). In modern fantasy, Moorcock's War Hound is one of the masterworks, even if the sequel is pretty meh.

So what else is there for someone looking for historical or quasi-historical adventures in the age of stagecoaches, robbers, gits-in-wigs and flintlocks? (Preferbaly not including pirate stories.) What about Christian Vulpius, for instance? Good? Bad? Outdated junk? Moll Flanders - does it live up to Courage?

There must be a lot more out there.

Settembrini:
There is ample supply of adventurous Prussians in the 18th century, plus some rather wild stuff by the Emperors Borderers from the Military Border. Also, maybe more sinister for you: the venerated memoirs of Casanova. Less sex and much more adventure & intrigue than you might think. But then you being who you are, you had this on the screen anyway? Barry Lyndon is halfway there.

Melan:
Strange as it may sound, I completely forgot about Casanova. I tried to get a copy of his memoirs a few years ago, but couldn't find it - might be just the right time! Thanks.

I wish my German was up to reading the original Geheimnißvoller Heldenschatz for a catalogue of magic items (it is up on Google Books), but alas, it is beyond me.

BoyScout:
I'm eager to know whether the d'Artagnan Romances are considered to be "quasi-historical adventures".

shame on me, i've never found time and motivation to read through all the other novels listed above.

Settembrini:
For me it is time to check out Vulpius, both TV and in the original, wonderful!

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln